Consider this post a programme of announcements and links; because a sure lot has happened since the start of this seemingly measly mid-October week:
1) If you have an iPhone or iPad, download the Urbandig app; it’s free and essentially is a series of tour guides curated by locals of various cities. So far, there are editions for Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York, and as of yesterday, PORTLAND!
And guess what, I am one of the curators for Portland; I put together a quick and snappy “Global Grub” guide showcasing what I think are six of Portland’s best ethnic food jaunts and some of my personal tips for what you should order/ask for/do- and if you guessed that Arabian Nights and Bombay Chaat House are on there; then I know you’re a loyal Salt Water Coffee reader
However, there are also several other dining guides (such as Hangover Heaven or Late Night Carts) along with guides pertaining to fashion/music/art…you name it!
2) Remember a few posts ago I talked about how my little sister, Nora was thinking of starting a blog? Well, Mac N Chic is now up and running (please tell me you understand the clever title…which also uncannily sounds like my sister’s favourite choice of supper). She’s just getting started, but my clever little kinswoman has some nifty ideas up her sleeve of what she intends to post about
3) If you’re into music, I’ve got something excellent to share with you; my friend from college, Dan, an incredibly talented bloke from England has an EP out which you all should check out:
4) You all know Gilt Groupe, yes? If you’ve been following long enough (meaning since the inception of SWC) you may remember a post I did conveying my enthusiasm for a Prabal Gurung tote bag I had ordered from this high calibre luxury goods flash sale site. Yesterday was the official launch of Gilt Home, which like the fine food & drink-centered Gilt Taste focuses on luxurious and beautifully curated sales of fine home goods whether it be gorgeous Frette bedsheets, Monique Lhuillier candles, or awe-inspiring Parvez Taj artwork. Gilt also features high end clothing and accessories for women, men, and children (at up to 60% off their retail prices), City event offers, and wonderful gifts. If you for any reason are not a member yet and wish to view (and purchase) any of the incredible items up for sale, just click on this link and consider yourself invited.
-And just a note to all you international peeps out there; currently Gilt only ships within the US, however international shipping is due to begin within the next couple of weeks so get excited (I know all my relatives abroad are)!
5) I am employed; and Monday was my first day of work- which is also why there may be a slight reduction in my online presence.
And my besides the nine trillion reasons why I am already LOVING my job, it also helps that my bosses ordered us food from Arabian Nights for dinner last night:
It might not be the most attractive picture; but some of the best food is unattractive: 1 Shish Tawouk sandwich wrapped in Arabic bread with lettuce/tomatoes/tahina; plate of Kibbeh (ground beef/bulgur), the AMAZING hummus, yoghurt sauce, and WHOLE WHEAT doughy amazing pita brad (I had no idea they even made a whole wheat version! I guess it’s time I up my cred as their #1 customer).
Any links or announcements you would care to share with me (and all the peeps who check out the comments)?
What’s in your office kitchen?
Have you shopped at Gilt before? (I am personally obsessed with the fact that Gilt Taste sells Portland’s own Pok Pok drinking vinegars and San Francisco Blue Bottle Coffee!)